Lamb Chump Chops with a Thyme Gravy
Click picture for larger version.
Lamb Chump Chops on a bed of Garlic Mash with Swiss Chard and a Thyme Gravy
Good comforting stuff for a December dinner
four lamb chump chops Picture
good sized handful of fresh thyme
glass of good red wine
½ litre veal stock Recipe
or other meat stock
two teaspoonfuls of cornflour
salt and fresh pepper
three or four swiss chard leaves per serving
floury potatoes like King Edwards
two tablespoonfuls of butter
six or seven cloves of garlic
- Prepare vegetables by peeling the potatoes and removing stems from the Swiss Chard and discarding, and tearing the chard leaves into pieces. Remove the thyme leaves from the stalks and lightly chop Picture . Trim the chops of any excess fat and salt and pepper on both sides.
- Make the mash potato by boiling the potatoes, draining, adding the butter, mashing, adding some milk and beating with a fork to the texture you like. Peel and crush the garlic, stir into the potatoes and season the mash to taste with salt.
- Meanwhile steam the Swiss Chard for about four minutes and take off the heat so that it does not cook any more.
- Put a thick bottomed frying pan over a high heat for a few minutes, add a bare tablespoonful of olive oil and sear the chops for a couple of minutes each side so that they brown. Lower the heat, add a futher tablespoonful of oil and cook for a further three minutes or so per side, put aside in a separate pan and keep warm Picture .
- Add the chopped thyme to the chop pan and stir around. Add a couple of teaspoonfuls of cornflour and stir in. Add a glass of red wine and simmer over a medium heat until reduced by half, then stir in the veal stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile finish the Swiss Chard in a couple of tablespoonfuls of olive oil stirring until covered and hot Picture .
- Put a base of garlic mash on the serving plates, add the chops, pour over some Thyme Gravy and serve with the Swiss Chard Zoom .
Categories: clamb cmain cmeat Recipe Id: r1810
Print Recipe Large Print Recipe